A great and easy vegan recipe that was such a big hit that my friends requested the recipe the next day!!
Portion: 4; Preparation time: 20 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or olive oil (to stir the onions and garlic)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- pinch of cayenne (optional)
- 454gr firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups (16-ounce can) cooked chick peas or any other bean you enjoy
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- pinch of salt (or more to taste)
- Sauté the onion and garlic in the oil until the onions are translucent, stirring occasionally, in a casserole.
- Stir in the cumin, coriander, turmeric, black pepper, and optional cayenne.
- Add the cubed tofu and 1/2 cup of water. Cook for a minute or so, stirring constantly
- Add the chick peas and simmer for 5 minutes
- Add the tomatoes and continue to cook until thoroughly heated
- Add salt to taste
- Serve topped with cilantro and/or yoghurt if you like, and over rice.
Recipe adapted from the book ‘Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home’ by the Moosewood Collective